Kylie has come into the terrible two's. Taylor didn't have the terrible two's but is having the terrible three's. Together they are driving me nuts!!! They don't listen, fight, talk back, have tantrums everything you can think of!! Tell me this will pass and give me the strength to follow through on my punishments. They have been sitting on the stairs till they are done crying then for additional minutes that equal their ages. What more can I do???? Any tips or advice for a 2.5 and almost 4 year old??? She naps but he doesn't.
3 comments:
Oh, poor you! My kids are 10 and 6 and still sit on the stairs for time outs...I just don't know what else to do with them when they get in that sorta mood.
LOL...I guess I'm not really helping, am I? It will get better one day, I'm sure!
Be strict when they are little. Thats my advice. Being strict when they are little pays off when they are older. I don't mean spanking or anything but be CONSISTENT. Consistency is KEY. Make sure your children know that NO is NO. When you say NO you mean NO. Don't give in to whining etc etc. Stick with it.
Stick with what you are doing be consistent and don't give in.
It will pay off in the end trust me.
It does get easier. Much easier.
I am strict - I don't put up with sulking or whining or anything like that - they get sent to their rooms - and their rooms aren't the funhouses that most kids rooms are either ;)
HTH
I agree with being strict when they are little. I was with Nate and now he is pretty well behaved. Conversely, Dan's kids are now almost 6 and don't listen worth a damn because their mother let them get away with everything when they were younger (we disciplined but she didn't!).
A good thing to do is make sure your house rules are pretty clear, so there is never any confusion. Then it's a simple matter of saying "No Taylor, there is no hitting allowed in our house - time out". When they are done time out, make sure you talk with them about why they were there and try to teach them empathy so they understand why what they did was bad - in simple kid terms.
By the way, I find that for the older kids, yes make them stop crying before their actual time out starts...but for 2 & 3 year olds, that's a pretty long time and the effectiveness of the time out is less the longer they sit there - with our 2 yr old time out starts as soon as he gets sent there, regardless of the crying etc.
And it will get better...when they are 18 and move out ;)
Post a Comment